The Terre Haute Children's Museum is currently seeking a part-time Public Programs Coordinator. To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Public Programs Coordinator” as your subject line. The position will remain open until filled.
Job Title: Public Programs Coordinator
Supervisor: Director of Education
Appointment: Part-time, 18-20 hrs/wk
Generally hours distributed from Tuesday through Saturday; evenings and Sundays as needed.
Reviewed and/or Revised: August 2017
Salary/Benefits: $12-15/hour depending on experience, some flexible scheduling of work hours
Educational Program Development and Implementation
- Creates and oversees implementation of new and existing program content for children ages 0-12 with an emphasis on ages 6-12, families, organized groups, and schools both inside and outside museum. Specifically: Museum on the Go outreach program; school group orientations; science workshops or overnights for children 6-12; First Friday programs; and museum guest presenters.
- Creates STEM content and activities for programs and outreach activities.
- Develops curriculum that is aligned with appropriate school curriculum and state educational standards.
- Ensures that all programs are executed effectively to ensure visitor satisfaction and achievement of museum program goals.
- Trains volunteers and staff on educational program content, group management skills, and facilitator protocol for all programs.
- Provides direct supervision of all volunteer and contract program facilitators.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in education, early childhood, museum education, recreation or related area of study
- Minimum of one year experience educating children and/or developing active learning programs in an informal educational environment
- STEM related expertise and/or experience preferred
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Volunteer management experience
- Proven leadership skills
- Self-motivated and responsible
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Comfortable with active, open-ended, busy learning environments
- Ability to work cohesively with a team for common goals
- Appreciates the value of play
- Computer competency especially with MS Office and Google Docs
- Valid driver’s license
- The Public Programs Coordinator will report to the Director of Education.
- Supervises contract or volunteer museum educators.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Night and/or weekend hours and travel will be necessary.
- Be physically active for 4 hours a day during program implementation.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.