Watch as gravity can turn two soda bottles and water into a tornado!
What you’ll need:
- Two clear soda bottles
- Duct tape
- 1 inch washer
- Wash the bottles making sure to remove any labels.
- Fill one bottle with water almost to the top.
- Place the washer on top of the mouth of the full bottle and then put the empty bottle’s mouth on top of the washer.
- Tape the two bottles together securely to make sure there will be no leaks.
- Swirl the bottle and watch as a tornado is formed!
How it Works
The water going through the washer from one bottle to the next forms a vortex. A vortex is a type of motion that causes liquids and gases to travel in spirals around a center. Gravity is what pulls the water into the hole so the vortex is formed. When there is a vortex in the bottle the water pours faster into the next bottle and allows air to pass through the middle of it.